Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Bobby Hebb Tour Diary August 13, 1966 Fifty Four Years Ago Today!

 

Bobby Hebb in Detroit with The Beatles

From the Beatles diary: The second date of The Beatles’ final North American tour saw them perform two shows, at 2pm and 7pm, before a total of 28,000 fans at Detroit’s Olympia Stadium. They had previously performed at the venue on 6 September 1964.

 https://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/08/13/live-olympia-stadium-detroit-2/

 

 

AdChoices

August 13, 1966. The Beatles. Detroit’s Olympia Stadium. I Was There!

 Ringo began to play.

OK, so while I can say that I saw the Beatles in 1966, I can’t honestly claim to have actually heard them, at least not very well. “I Feel Fine.” “I Wanna Be Your Man.” These were my favorite songs, and the sound was cranked up loud enough to reach us easily. But my fellow Beatlemaniacs insisted on screaming, shrieking, hollering and calling out (“Paul! Paul! I Love you Paul! “Ringo! Ringo! Ringo! Ringo!”) nonstop through the whole concert. As the Beatles careened happily through their brief set list (11 songs, including the encore), their fans never once shut up.

Not even for “Yesterday.” It was a far cry from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

But oh my god, was it fun! To this adoring fan, it was heaven. I LOVED the Beatles. How cool was it to be in the same room (albeit a very large room) with John and Paul and George and Ringo, grooving on their music? 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/august-13-1966-the-beatles_b_5650550

No comments: